Every year, the News Division of the Special Libraries Association presents the Vormelker-Thomas Student Award to a student or recent graduate interested in a career in news librarianship. The award includes a $1,500 stipend to allow the recipient to attend his/her first SLA conference.
Please help to publicize the award to any interested students. Information is below and on the News Division’s Web site, http://www.ibiblio.org/slanews/about/vormelker2008.htm
The News Division of the Special Libraries Association invites graduate students and December 2007 graduates interested in a career in news librarianship to apply for the Vormelker-Thomas Student Award.
The award, co-sponsored by the News Division and ProQuest, is a $1,500 stipend to assist students attending their first Special Libraries Association Annual Conference. The 2008 Annual Conference will be June 15-18, 2008 in Seattle, Washington.
1. Applicants must be members of the Special Libraries Association when they apply for the stipend.
2. Applicants must be attending their first SLA conference.
3. Applicants must be graduate students or December 2007 graduates interested in a career in news librarianship.
4. Applications must include:
* a word-processed essay (500-1,000 words) addressing an issue in news librarianship
* a letter of reference from a news librarian, a news editor, or a faculty member
* a resume
* a list of course work undertaken
* a statement of professional goals
* a statement of what the applicant expects to gain from attending the conference
5. Applications must be e-mailed no later than Wednesday, April 16 at 5 p.m.
E-mail applications to:
The Columbus Dispatch
The winner will receive a check prior to the conference in June. The winning essay will appear in an issue of News Library News.
The News Division reserves the right not to award the stipend if there are no suitable applicants.
Please share this notice with people who may be interested in this award.